Thursday 31 January 2013

Body Disposal Methods

So, as I started getting ideas for this week's blog, the first thing that I typed into google was "disposal methods for dead bodies".. I quickly added "in different cultures" as the sinking sensation set in that the internet is watching me, and would inevitably assume that I am trying to 'dispose of a dead body' in the most effective way possible. Yeesh...

I just read through the post of another 'blogger's blog. Who knew so many people wrote blogs for fun?.. This blog basically covered the question I was proposing to answer. Based on Erin's suggestion I am looking at cross cultural body disposal methods. Before I get to that, I suppose it doesn't hurt to mention that for years I have always thought about the predicament of what to do with the cumbersome thing that is my body once I've kicked the bucket. As mentioned at length in my post last week, traditionally, if I were to follow Jewish tradition I would be buried in a Jewish cemetery, in a box, in the ground. Which is all good and well, although, my real predicament is that I have a huge problem with cemeteries. Oddly, I LOVE cemeteries. I enjoy the history and the beauty and the morbidity of a concentrated site of decayed and decaying bodies underfoot. What could be better? In all seriousness though, I really do love cemeteries, but, the problem lies in that I DO NOT want to be buried in one. I think they are a horrible use of space and I don't agree with the process and necessary social status that seem to go along with them. I can appreciate the irony of stating that on a blog for an archaeology of death class, I really can. I am fascinated by cemeteries, and the historic significance and processes yet I'm troubled by the practices that take place before a person is dropped in the ground and left there, to hopefully sit still for a while. My problem is more so with the price that we (North Americans(?)) put on funerary processes these days. It is SO expensive to get rid of your dead these days. Thousands of dollars are spent on the plot, and the suit, and the chemicals used to 'pickle' a body for an open casket, and the headstone, the funeral service.. and on and on. It just seems like a formidable process for a dead person. Don't get me wrong, I respect the dead, and the loss that people are faced with, but burying a person should not come with such costs. It seems unfair that most of society wouldn't be able to give an equal burial to their loved ones because of the burdensome fees that go along with them. Cremation, although a cheaper alternative, can still cost on average (according the the posted blog) $5000 in the United states, compared to $8500 for a regular cemetery burial. By God!

Ironically, I've been pretty set on the idea of a fisherman's burial (I hear the logistics of this are not in my favour nowadays), although I am TERRIFIED of the ocean, and as you know, I love cemeteries, but don't want to be buried in one. So strange. I am definitely open to suggestions for other burial ideas!

Some of my favourites, luckily also found on that blog include the Viking burial, as well as being eaten by wild animals (I for sure would be open to that). I also thing the ideas of "plastination", where they remove your bodily fluids and replace them with plastic, to be intriguing-- although not for my own body. I feel like I would come out more scary than sincere. My feelings are similar for taxidermy, the idea seems nonsensical and goofy to me, but I think it should be an option. We so readily stuff all of the other animals in our kingdom, may as well follow suite.
I am a huge fan as well of sky burials practised in some N.A. indigenous groups, as well as in parts of Asia, to name a few.
The idea of cannibalism, both endo- and exo- strike me as particularly clever as well, if I could handle being eaten by vultures or wild pigs, I'm sure I'd feel alright with humans doing the same.. as long as I was not killed for the express purpose of someones eating pleasure.
I love the option that Erin linked in her blog prompt found here. Decomposing mushrooms seems like a stellar idea, and cleansing as well! Although it seems a little more complicated that I anticipated. I am all for natural decomposition (as she is trying to provide). Birds, bugs, fungi, carnivores.. hopefully by the time I die I can donate my good organs and be disposed of in as ecologically friendly way possible.. I suppose while abiding federal restrictions.. 
Here's to hoping!!!

Photo of one of the last stages of a Tibetan sky burial. This is super cool. If you have the stomach to see a bunch of graphic photos, here is a pretty cool site here. It is also the link for this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment