Thursday 7 March 2013

Resomation- "Bio Cremation"

I just read Britney O's post on Resomation, which is a 'High Pressure Alkaline Hydrolysis' process which has the same outcome as a cremation, but is a different process entirely. In my opinion, I think this is a really innovative way to dispose of bodies, without the environmental damage that cremation causes. I read a short comparative paper which Britney had linked to her page, along with going through the Resomation website, and I think this is just so fascinating. "Bio Cremation" uses an alkaline hydrosis reaction to break down the body in a stainless steel chamber. It takes around 3-4 hours like a regular cremation does, and the finishing result is a sterile liquid solution and pristine white bones, jewellery, and any metals that were left in the body prior to the process. After this process bones are soft and are crushed up and returned to the family is the same manner as a cremation (they even encourage the use of silk or woollen containers instead of urns, but I'm sure that isn't set in stone if people would like to stick to the traditional urn). The process uses less energy and unlike a cremation, the machine does not need to be preheated. Several studies have shown that the CO2 released in this process is 1/4 of that released in a cremation. According the to paper, the liquid which is produced can be integrated in with other raw sewage with little difficulty. The process of bio-cremation was originally used for infected animals, again with little to no effects in water treatment. There is also a potential for using the liquid for making a soil nutrient used in green energy production, but it doesn't look as if this has been thoroughly tested yet. This seems to me like it could be a viable alternative to cremation, I've read several blog posts saying that people are uneasy about the bones not being in powder form when they are removed from the Resomation chamber, but in my opinion, I think that as long as people don't have to watch the bones be removed and powdered, it really is quite similar to cremation, although apparently the bones are a thinner powder and are pearly white when they are bio cremated. I suppose it really depends on how people feel about the disposal method of their loved ones. What aspects are the key factors when they decide how their body will be laid to rest. I think this is an extremely intriguing advancement and I really hope that it catches on more in the future!
(These pictures can all be linked to the Resomation website.)


No comments:

Post a Comment