Thursday 14 February 2013

Cremation Tattoos

Hello again, So, I was originally going to talk about something else, but then I came across this video, and decided this would be more interesting to talk about. Video So, what this video is (for those of you who would rather read instead, here it is link ), is a new clip (from 2011) talking about the growing popularity in the US (and I assume Canada, as well) of getting tattoos with cremation ashes in them in order to literally carry a part of the commemorated loved one with you forever. This means that a small percentage of ash is mixed in with the ink, and administered into the blood stream with the dye. Despite the health adviser's cynicism in the clip, she agrees that it can be a safe process if done properly, and if there are no following complications. I wanted to check to see if this actually was a blossoming thing here in North America, and I found a few blogs where people seem to be all over it! 1 2 From what I gather, it can be totally safe as long as the ashes are sterile (one way is through the use of a "cremulator"). If they are incinerated properly (hot enough to burn off any lingering diseases or pathogens, etc) then they can be used without serious health risks. The risks that remain are the same as those with any tattoo: rejection by the body to the foreign substance, which can result in complications in the healing process. The blogs I looked at mentioned cremated pets as frequently as humans. As far as the blogs have concluded, people have, and continue to get pets ink on them as well. Some states have restrictions on this kind of procedure, but many states will allow it, as long as the process is done in a safe, sterile matter. It can be hard, judging again, from the blogs, to find a tattoo artist who will do this kind of procedure, but they can be found!! What do you think, are you going to be getting your beloved pet tattooed IN to you forever?

3 comments:

  1. This is so crazy and scary that it has to be done perfectly to avoid contaminating yourself, but I feel like with the popularity of tattoos it makes sense why it's a popular option. Plus many people get pets or people who have died tattooed on them, so I guess it's not too big of a leap to physically put them IN your body as well as ON. Then the ashes get to stay with you forever, which seems to be a popular trend since a lot of people like to get ashes made into jewellery and such so they can keep that person with them. But what happens when you die? It's like two people dying because a relative can't take back the ashes like you could with an urn or jewellery and makes me wonder if people found them buried years down the road, what would they think of it? Or maybe the process of making the ashes sterile enough is so intensive they would no longer be recognized scientifically as "human remains". I'll have to read up on this more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so interesting!!! To be perfectly honest, I kind of love this idea. Well, at first glance for sure....I suppose when it comes down to it it might be a bit intense for me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually getting this done with my aunts ashes! I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete